27 April 2004

Not too shabby...

Well, I did some math today. About 18 months ago I begged my first guitar off my in-laws and started to plinking around with it. After 6 months of that, I bought an "entry level" guitar and kept going and boy, did my fingers thank me.

So, I have spent the last year or so teaching myself to play, downloading chord sheets to play music and just kind of farting around. Tonight, I sat down and flipped through the songs that I could play somewhat. My repertoire has expanded to just over a dozen praise songs and a few classic rock tunes (I've almost got "Cat's In the Cradle" by Harry Chapin down). Of course, the lessons that I have taken over the last seven weeks have helped a lot, too. Thanks, Armand and the guys at the Christian Music Center

I was zooming right along through my songs and TWANG! I busted a string. Usually I am pretty good at changing my strings before this happens, but I was surprised by it tonight. Not to worry, though, because I have some spare strings around. I'll be right back at it in no time.

I am *this close* to feeling comfortable playing in front of people. I am hoping to use this skill to enhance my ministry to young people and soldiers. Also, I am finding a lot of joy in singing praises to God in my basement...even if I do just kinda fumble along sometimes. "Make a joyful noise to the Lord" it says in the Psalms. Well, I am having fun and it certainly is noisy. Thank goodness my wife doesn't hear too much of what happens down here.

Bottom line, I am not disappointed with my current skill level. I'll never "go pro" but I'll certainly be able to lead some praise and worship in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home