12 June 2006

Blessed are the full, for they shall be emptied...

B"When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." --Matt. 5:1-6

A common misinterpretation of this verse is to think of it as an "if/then" statement. If I come to God with a poor spirit, then I will receive the kingdom of heaven. If I mourn, then I will be comforted. If I am meek, then I will inherit the earth. The problem that I have with this interpration is that we come to Christ with an alterior motive. We come filled with expectations of the coin-operated God where I put in my good works, prayers, attitudes, et al. and receive the blessings I need when I press His buttons.

Look over the list and you'll see an attitude that Christ deals with. I would sum this up as "Blessed are the empty, for Christ will fill them with grace."

I've been full of a lot of things lately. I been full of a lot of grief. No matter how it may have gone, well or badly, I'm coming away from two years of strong relationships that are now all severed. I'm still mourning the loss of my friends and the 1st of the 329th and the 2nd of the 19th. I'm mis-channeling this grief into some resentment and hard feelings toward my new battaltion. It's causing me to be full of sinful anger, sinful pride, and a whining, excuse-filled attitude that I don't like in myself.

I want so much to be optimistic! I want to be a postive presence in an organization that is so negative. I want to be the guy who brightens a sucky day; not the guy who comes up with quick-witted comments on the leadership of senior NCO's and officers. If you've ever seen Band of Brothers, the HBO special, I want to be 1SG Lipton. I want to be the guy who can go from foxhole to foxhole to support his men in spite of a company commander who is always MIA. I want to be a positive role model for the cross that I wear on my chest.

Today's verse is telling me that I have become empty first. First, I must come to the Cross of Christ, "just as I am without one plea but that Thy blood was shed for me," to quote the great old hymn. My pride, arrogance, and anger have no place in my new life in Christ. I cannot empty myself; Christ must take away these sins. Then and only then, can "the peace of God which passes all understanding" enter into my heart and mind. Then, having been emptied of my sin, I can say, "Blessed are the empty, for they shall be filled with Christ." Holy Spirit, fill me with that positive outlook that comes only from You.

Today's entry is more for me than for you, but maybe you are walking this path wherever you are reading this. Come before the Lord, broken and honest, and He will fill you with good things!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home