15 June 2006

Get over it, stupid!

"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." --Proverb 12:1 (NKJV)

This was my "Good Word for the Day" at Tuesday's Command and Staff. Something really cool is that I get to lead off every C&S with a devotional thought, prayer, and then just sit back and watch. I'm learning that I have a great command.

Does anyone like correction? I like to be the one correcting other people, I know that much. I do it everywhere. In my mind, I correct the 1SG on his PT choices, his leadership style. In my mind, I correct Soldiers on their uniforms, customs, and courtesies. In my mind, I critique every worship service, every sermon, every leadership decision that I hear about. Yep, I like to correct people.

It's hard when the shoe is on the other foot, though. It's hard when 1SG wants to correct me about my need for a PT test. It's hard when a Soldier corrects me on MY uniform and how something is crooked or not centered. It's hard when my wife tells me that MY sermon was all over the place and I should have spent more time on it. It's hard, uncomfortable, unnerving, embarrassing, but I appreciate it.

I can't say that I love it when people tell me that I'm wrong, but I can't say that I hate it. If I hated it, then I would be stupid. It's difficult at first but then I just try to remind myself that it's another place for God's forgiveness and mercy to shine through. It's an opportunity to be gracious and exemplify good leadership by accepting the correction, making the necessary changes, and being appreciative that someone wants me to be better.

While I understand that my fondness for correction can be seen as "know-it-all-ism," I do it because I strive for excellence. I serve an excellent God who doesn't just do the bare minimum; He goes the full distance, the extra mile and then some, so as to achieve perfection. I'm trying to be like Him in everything I do. And, when I'm not, there'll be someone to correct me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home