23 June 2007

I Would

Following 9/11, I attended a wedding where a good friend of mine was wearing one of the red, white, and blue ribbons that were symbolic of the support given to those who were effected. I remember him looking at me and asking me where mine was. I reached into my back pocket, pulled out my US Army Reserve ID card and said, "This is how I will support those who need me." I leave next week to do my part and give that support.

"Greater love have no man than this: that he lay down his life for his friends." John records these words of Christ and they have long been on my mind and on my heart. Jesus spoke these words prophetically, showing how He would demonstrate his love to the world. Many have been the times when I have asked if I could follow His example and do "What Jesus Would Do." I still don't have an answer. I'd like to say that I will but, too be honest, I hope the question is never asked of me.

But here's how I would fulfill these words of Christ. I would put my life on hold for 15 months to go and do my part in this current conflict. My part is to maintain Soldiers and their spirits. My part is to speak the powerful Word of God and administer His Sacraments to those who would receive them. For the next 15 months, my life as a husband, son, brother, uncle, and friend is on hold. I'm laying down these parts of my life because of the love that I have for my wife, for my family, and for my friends.

I choose to believe that the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan have stopped terrorists from carrying out attacks on our soil. I can't prove it but I still choose to believe it. Therefore, I would gladly lay down my life for a year to keep all those that I love safe. It's hard to say goodbye; I've been doing that for over a month now. But, I choose to believe that by saying goodbye now, we won't have to worry about our futures together.

This whole post sounds corny as anything gets but it's what I choose to believe and it's what I choose to do. Who would be crazy enough to believe something like this? I would.

1 Comments:

Blogger SFC B said...

John Stuart Mill's "The Contest in America" get's thrown about often in war-related quote fests. While the "War is an ugly thing..." and "A man who has nothing..." quotes seem to be the most common, I've always liked:

"A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice; a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice--is often the means of their regeneration."

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home