24 October 2006

Stick with what you know

"So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him." --1 Samuel 17:50

As a college football devotee, I know that there is no more cliched expression in all of sports than depicting a classic mis-match as "David vs. Goliath." And yet, there are those times when David does beat Goliath. An example that comes to mind from this 2006 season is unranked Arkansas beating what was, at the time, #2 Auburn. Interestingly, Arkansas pulled the upset the same way that David beat Goliath: they stuck to what they knew.

The talking heads would say after the Arkansas- Auburn game that Arkansas played "their game." That is to say, Arkansas didn't buy the fact that because Auburn's team was lighter and faster that the Razorbacks should change their plans. Instead, Arkansas played their smashmouth football game and played it to a "T" and won the game.

So it is with David. When David comes forward and volunteers to battle Goliath, the first thing Saul does is try to fit David in his armor. David proclaims that he can't move in that stuff and instead turns to what he knows. He knows how to sling rocks at animals in the wilderness. He knows that God is bigger than Goliath. He knows that God will deliver him in this battle. And so, armed with this knowledge, David meets Goliath and fells him with a stone between the eyes.

Many times I catch myself trying to put on someone else's armor or trying to play someone else's game. And then I just fumble around and look silly. I need to be "me," the "me" that God called me to be. My "me" isn't perfect, but nobody's is. But my "me" is genuine and my "me" trusts that my shortcomings can be overcome by Christ. So today, dear reader, pick up your stones and go do battle as the best "me" you can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home