24 July 2007

Life at Anaconda

Okay, it's time for me to pull back the curtain a bit so you can understand what my day-to-day life is like here at LSA Anaconda.

Basically, it's like being back in college or Seminary. I sleep on a twin bed. I will have a roommate soon (He's been delayed in deploying.) I have make-shift furniture, mostly made from plywood and wood screws. I am contemplating getting some 4x4's and making a loft and maybe finding a cast-off couch, just to complete the motif. All I need now is some cinderblocks and 2x6's and I can build a bitchin' entertainment center. What I could do if I had a half-dozen milk crates right now.

I have to walk about 500m to a Dining Facility (DFAC, dee-fack) which is the same as walking across campus to go the cafeteria. The food here is somewhat better however the menu repetition is still there. Before long, I'll be playing that wonderful game from college: What's for Dinner? The game is played by looking at only the first item on the menu and then guessing the whole rest of the menu. I was quite good at it in college; I hope it's a skill set that soon returns.

When we arrived, the folks we were replacing had a great big sale of all their refrigerators, mircowaves, TV's etc...just like the last two weeks at college where the seniors and drop-outs are selling all their gear. The only difference is that none of this stuff smells like beer, but some did smell like vomit.

Laundry? I don't do it. No, my mom didn't come with me; the gov't hires contractors just to do laundry for everyone on the LSA. I drop off a bag of dirty stuff and three days later I pick up the clean stuff. Exactly like college! I used to come home on Friday, drop my laundry off, and by Sunday afternoon it was ready for me to take back with me. (Thanks, Mom!) The only catch is that they don't sort socks. I asked Sara if I could send my socks home for her to sort and then she could mail them back to me. She said, "no." And she says she supports the troops. Pshaw!

What do I do with my free time? I play sports and games. I've already told you about the floor hockey games. Plus, I have to do regular physical training (PT) six days a week. This allows me to continue my triathlon training, even though I probably won't have a opportunity to do a tri while I'm here. Also, there's intramural softball coming up soon and I'll probably be roving in the outfield somewhere for that. I've already been drafted as a defensive end for the intramural flag football team this fall. If I could just find a game of 500 or heck, even Euchre, I'd feel like I was 20 all over again.

Most of you who know me can seen the tongue-in-cheek parts of this post. But, the opening statements of each paragraph are true. Am I complaining? Hell no. I am living in the lap of luxury comparted to many. I heard a story from a fellow chaplain who's in Baghdad and had to wait in line for 2 hours to make his first 20 minute phone call home after being deployed for 2 months. I've been able to call my wife weekly and IM with her on the internet. I'm eating three hot meals a day while many of my brothers are eating MRE's morning, noon, and night. I sleep on a bed, not the ground. I have some down-time and the opportunity to play sports and games while so many others are too busy trying to stay alive. I have regular, reliable electricty while others are constantly going without. I am mindful of these blessings every day as I see guys from "outside the wire" who are blessed to come to LSAA for a hot meal, a hot shower, and a real bed for one night while they are gathering supplies or whatever.

Like I said, life at Anaconda is a lot like life at college. But, it could always be worse. Too be honest, I have it very, very easy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nyiaak said...

My husband has been to the sandbox three times; each time he's been blessed with the accomdations you speak of as well. It is beyond a huge blessing and it always gives us a new appreciation and awe for the men (and esp. their wives) who go weeks without communication, etc. I'm so glad you are where you are, seeing what you're seeing, and appreciating what you're appreciating.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Justin and Jocelyn said...

Hey brother! Good to hear the updates! Thank you for giving us prayer fodder! :) Blessings to you!

J

3:45 PM  
Blogger Ann McGlynn Hartje said...

When it's hot outside, my kids aren't cooperating with me, my car is soaking wet on the inside and stinks because I left my sunroof open while it rained a monsoon, or I don't think I can finish my workout along our beautiful bike path, I think of the men and women in Iraq. And then my life suddenly becomes so much better. I am so very blessed.

Ann

P.S. My college roommie Holly, as beautiful as she is, snored like a truck driver. Here's hoping your new bunk mate sleeps like an angel...and isn't bothered by your bodily functions.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home