07 October 2009

Today's Reading: Acts 1:6-11

"...why do you stand looking into heaven?" --Acts 1:11

The work-a-holic in me asks if spending an hour or so each day reading God's Word, praying for His direction, seeking His will for life and ministry is just standing around looking into heaven. By the way, the irony of the fact that this happens after Jesus' ASCENSION into heaven is not lost on me.

On the one hand, this message from the angels is a bit of a kick-in-the-kiester to the apostles. Jesus' ministry is complete...for now. Now is the time for their ministry. His final charge to them is be His witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. Now is there time. Let's get going!

On the other hand, they are supposed to wait for the coming of the Holy Spirit "in power" before they take off. I know that without the Holy Spirit and the power that He brings, there is no way that I can do ministry on my own. It's not about me; it's about Jesus. If it's about Jesus, then I had best "check-in" each day and receive the power that He gives.

Therefore, this time is only standing around looking vacantly into the heavens if effects of this time stay hidden and private in my study or my home. If others can't see the effect of this time, then I am just looking vapidly into the heavens. But, as I use this time to receive the power and strength of the Holy Spirit, it is invaluable and necessary time. It allows me to witness to His grace and mercy in my life.

Lord, bless this time that we have each day. Use it to strengthen me and lead me to witness for you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home