11 January 2009

Spirituality and Creativity

"Q: You've written that everyone is born to live creatively, but many of us fail to do so.  Why is that?
A:  Largely because we are lazy.  Creativity is difficult.  When you are being creative, you're living by faith.  You don't know what's next because the created, by definition, is what's never been before.  So you're living at the edge of something in which your not very confident.  You might fail; in fact, you almost certainly will fail a good part of the time.  All the creative persons I know throw away most of the stuff they do."
(Taken from The Contemplative Pastor by Rev. Eugene H. Peterson, pg. 6-7, emphasis added)

I've tried three times to expound and explain this quote from Peterson and three times I've deleted the whole post.  Suffice it to say, this blog and my futile attempts at verbal creativity, are my way of maintaining my spiritual life.  The problem is that I post the bad stuff as well as the good.  The good thing is that the Internet is so vast, few people will read this anyway.

The catharsis is in the process of the writing, not the product that ends up in the ether.  If you, gentle reader, will keep that in mind then I will do my best to do the same.

Excelsior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home