11 October 2004

The weeks keep rolling along

Okay, so here's what I have done in the last 7 days:

Tuesday, 5 OCT: 4 mile run with Delta Company. It was a 9:00 min/ mile average so not too killer, but for some reason it really hurt.

Wednesday, 6 OCT: Okay, I was playing "staff-weenie" and getting office stuff done. But, I was still at the battalion until 7:30 p.m. doing counseling. eesh.

Thursday, 7 OCT: Morning PT is a given, but it was coupled with a 5.1 mile foot march in the afternoon.

Friday, 8 OCT: Out to the field! I spent Friday night in the field with Delta Company and laughed as I watched the various platoons "probe each other's positions." Hey, I know what it sounds like, but that's what they call it.

Saturday, 9 OCT: Morning field service for Delta Company. 40 Soldiers stayed to hear the Word of God and know that they are forgiven in Christ. Came back at about 9:30 a.m. and did some more office work because that afternoon it was time to bring the pain! Ground Fighting Techniques (GFT) with Bravo Comapany! Yeah, I spent the whole day wrestling around on the ground with guys about half my age and 75% my size. It was fun and good training as well.

Sunday, 10 OCT: Lutheran service in the morning with 80 people in attendance, which is kinda down. Then home to do about 3 weeks worth of laundry because I was low on underwear. It was either do laundry or go buy more. We're low on cash, so I'll wash it. I spent the rest of the day in bed with a nasty sore throat and temperature.

Monday, 11 OCT: Wake up with the same pukey sore throat but the fever seems to be gone. Come in and try to do PT, only to find that it's a federal holiday and the gym isn't open. Crap. It's actually okay, because I wasn't up to snuff quite yet.

The big news for today was the fact that Delta Company is coming back from the field tonight, which is early. So, tonight is going to hurt. I'll have a 12 mile road march that steps off at about 9:00 p.m. and wraps up about 2:00 a.m. I'll take a quick nap in my office, get up and do another Eagle Run with Charlie Company. This will be followed by a shower, a quick devotional word at the Commanders' Meeting and then I am off to teach ASIST all day. Needless to say, I am going to need A LOT of coffee tomorrow.

But all of these things are where a chaplain earns his money, so to speak. It's instant credibility with Soldiers when you are doing as much of their training as possible. It's also good credibility with Drill Sergeants as well.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, this is a "holiday" weekend. Meaning, I was supposed to be off Friday and Monday. Yeah. Right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home