17 August 2004

Movie Review #1

The first movie that I saw this weekend was the remake of the classic thriller: The Manchurian Candidate. Frank Sinatra won an Oscar for his role in the original and I think it safe to say that no one will win an Oscar for the remake. Well, actually, Meryl Streep does a fantastic job in her role, so I'm going to recind that remark.

I wish I had understood this before I went, so please understand this. The problem with a remake is that people already know how it ends. Personally, I haven't seen the 1962 version, a problem I shall remedy some rainy Sunday afternoon, but I have heard enough about it to know the plot of the modern rendition.

The whole movie is a bad re-build of the memory of MAJ Marco, a Gulf War veteran who was subject to some memory implanting while in Iraq. All this so some multi-national corporation could buy control of his politically-wired sergeant, Raymond Shaw, and wait for the time when Shaw would become president and then control the fate of the free world...and profit nicely.

The movie is obvious and slow. Early on, we can figure what's happened and so we have to wait and watch as Marco tediously labors on trying to figure it out for himself. When he finally does, we learn just how deep this mind-control goes. In a surprise twist, Marco has a role to play in this plot but the movie tries to make a double-back that as subtle as a 300 offensive tackle.

Again with a movie that thinks that funky camera movements make good art. Listen, you can't heighten the suspense of a remake by moving the camera around. I almost thought I was watching a 60's acid film sometimes. Sheesh.

I paid full price, but this is definitely a Video. While you're renting this one, get the original. Even though I haven't seen Frank's version, it can't be any worse than this.


2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

WOW...I so totally disagree with you. I read your review on collateral first because, well, i was at the week at Camp Okoboji with you, that's how i got the URL here, and went straight to wherever you talked about camp. So i started from the bottom here, and went up. When i was reading your review on Collateral, i thought to myself, hmm..i should see this, being i haven't. Then I go to you review on the Manchurian Candidate, and become frustrated at how off i feel you are. But..as i've come to believe, never believe a critic. After reading your review on the Manchurion Candidate, i have second thoughts on watching Collateral. So thank you, for nothing. Oh yeah..Don't quit your day job.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Tom Vanderbilt said...

It's okay, Adam. You're young and probably haven't wasted as much of your life watch crappy movies as I have. But not to worry! Hollywood will always turn out stuff that you wish they would pay you to see.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home