10 January 2005

More than we expected

The title is linkified to take you to Mark 4:35-41. The story of Jesus calming the storm. I love this story and here's why.

The disciples are busy being the usual, normal guys that they really are. Sure, we call them "saints," but so often they show themselves to be completely normal. Here we have Jesus sleeping in the rear of the boat when a squall comes up and starts to swamp the boat. Shouldn't be a problem, right? Peter, Andrew, James, and John used to be fishermen and are probably familiar with the ways of the water. They start doing what you're supposed to do. But, their knowledge is not enough to save themselves, and they are afraid of drowning.

So, rather than letting Jesus sleep, they wake him up. I personally think that they want him to help bail out the boat. The disciples are looking for another set of hands to throw water over the side. Instead, what they get, the almighty Son of God commanding the wind and the waves to be still.

The disciples, who were fearing for their life at the hands of the wind and the waves, are now terrified to be in the presence of the Almighty. A request that started with an expectation of throwing water over the rail, ends with throwing around the power of the Creator.

This story always makes me think about my prayer life. So often I ask Jesus to come and help me to bail out my boat. I tell him that I can do 90% of it, just help with the last little bit, will ya? It's like the disciples asking the Almighty to wake up and pick up a bucket. But, the thing is, if I were to ask for Jesus to do all that He could do in my life, I would end up like the disciples: terrified and wondering who this Jesus really is. It's a frightening thing to consider all that we could be in the fullness of Christ's grace. It's also a humbling thing to see all that we aren't because we don't lean on Him more.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. Which do I want: the 10% Jesus who only helps me be what I want to become or the 100% Jesus who ruins my plans and makes me into what he would have me be?

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Hey, I think I should post a comment alittle more on the positive side. But what your saying so so true. And well, you being a Pastor, I really trust what you say. But i would love to hear a sermon on that because it seems like hearing something like that is so effective when it's spoken with emotion and feelings. But anyway, I find myself only asking God to "grab a bucket" or helping with it alittle bit, but when actually I should be letting Him take control of the situation. If He can calm a storm at sea, I think He can handle any situation that I face. Wow...I've never really thought of that verse like that, thank you.

God Bless,
Adam

4:55 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Hi you don’t know me, but I was reading your response on Adam’s blog and as always it was very inspirational. I just wanted to thank you for sharing the word of God with us. I did a devotion the other night with a group of college students and it was based on a the trust we have in God and remembering that he is here with us always even if we don’t ask Him to be because he has plans for all of us, they are just a secret to us that can not be revealed. Thank you for sharing the love of Christ with all of us. You are truly a blessing.

God’s peace be with you,
Kristy

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home