28 October 2004

I Turned Someone Blue!

No, I didn't put them in a choke hold.

Today is the day before Charlie Company's graduation. With Infantry, there is a special ceremony called a "Turning Blue" ceremony. It's here that they Soldiers receive the distinctive sky-blue cord that will distinguish them throughout the Army. The blue infantry cord is a badge of honor and dedication in itself, much like paratrooper wings, air assault badge, or Ranger tab.

This blue cord is usually put on by the family members who are in attendance. Today, there was a Soldier who asked me to put it on for him. I had talked to him (along with umpteen others from Charlie) way back in July when he first got here. To be honest, I can't remember exactly who he was or what his issue was but he remembered me. So, since he didn't have any family around, he asked me to put his cord on for him. I was truly honored in more ways than one.

I was honored because this young man is Infantry, which I consider to be somewhat of an elite designation. He is one of the best trained and physically fit soldiers in the world and he asked me to turn him blue. I was also honored because something I had said to him had "stuck" and I had done something to strengthen his faith in his Savior, his service, and himself. I made a difference in his life and that's what honors me the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home