27 July 2007

It's my Birthday

*cue John, Paul, George and Ringo* You say it's your birthday! It's my birthday, too--yeah!

So, I'm sure this comes as little surprise to some of you. I think you got the e-mail. Methinks I have been the subject of two conspiracies. I know of one and I suspect the other.

First off, I was set up by my S-1 (Personnel Officer). She's working on the July edition of the newsletter and was compiling a list of birthdays just yesterday. Curses! I was just finishing up a class on Suicide Awareness when the Executive Officer (XO) asked me to stand by. He then asked me today's date and why that day was special. (Note: I need to do a "This Day In History" study so I can give some world event other than my birthday.) So, I 'fessed up and then those gathered proceeded to sing Happy Birthday. It was after this that I found out that I was set up. D'oh!

The second one is harder to prove. However, I have been getting a large volume of e-mail from all over the States wishing me a Happy Birthday, many of whom I know I have not told it's my birthday. This leads me to suspect a little Husker almuna (Class of '95) who resides in Georgia. I think I have been the subject of a conspiracy of grace on my birthday. And I greatly appreciate and cherish every message.

I had a sad realization yesterday; I will spend two birthdays in a row away from family and friends. The way my deployment works out, I'll be celebrating my next birthday right here in this spot. Such is life. Thanks to you all who make it tolerable. I love you all a lot.

4 Comments:

Blogger Goose said...

Happy birthday, Dubber! Mine was Tuesday, and that night I read your previous blog post and counted my blessings that I was able to be home with my wife and baby boy and not in a desert combat zone on the other side of the world.

Stay safe, cousin -- I look forward to you spending a birthday at home soon.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ann McGlynn Hartje said...

Hmmmmm, in all of this talk about your birthday (if this gives you any clue, I received my cue to send a birthday wish yesterday) no one has mentioned how old you will be. I do know, however, you are firmly in your older 30s, while I bask in the glow of my young 30s.

10:17 PM  
Blogger brush said...

Hi Pastor, and belated happy birthday from Steve in Clintonville. Local TV is full of reports of the hot weather the players and fans have to deal with at Packers training camp. Certainly pales in comparison to what you and all the others serving our country are going through. Just got word that my wife Mary's son Mark's Marine unit will be deployed again in Sept. Not looking forward to another year of unseen tension and constant worry, but he does his job, just like all of you, with a pride that continues to astonish me. Take care of yourself. There are a lot of friends here in Clintonville praying for you and all others who serve in harms way. God Bless.

7:09 PM  
Blogger fosterscreations said...

Hey TW sorry for not being better about keeping in touch. It has been several years since I last saw you in Omaha at your wedding. When mom asked me about a yellow ribbon for your dad I had no idea you were in the service. It is great to have a way to communicate with you. Just drop me an email when you can so we can catch up. Miss you Big little "Bro"
Love your
Little Big "Sis"
Shannon

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home