20 August 2007

Thankfulness

There are a number of organizations out there that help channel support to deployed Soldiers. I signed up at AnySoldier.com in order to receive a few goodies and treatst to draw people into my office so that I can talk to them. The other day, I received a gift that, at first, looked really strange but has quickly become my favorite. Some kind soul sent me a box full of homemade cards. Thank you cards, Birthday cards, Anniversary cards, Sympathy cards, and just plain old blank cards.

So, I have now taken up the habit of writing thank you cards to folks who send me things. I take one afternoon a week and just jot a few cards to folks that I have never met but who still send me and my Soldiers care packages. I try very hard to personalize each one based on the notest they include in their packages.

This morning was not a good morning for me. I've gone through two printers today. The printer that was here when we got here finally went kaput and so we brought out the back-up that we had brough with us from Fort Benning. Only, I forgot that it wasn't rated for 220v, and I fried that printer. It even had smoke coming out of it afterward. This caused me to take on a character that my wife likes to call "Mr. Grumpy Pants" because now I have to wait for the Army supply system to work in order for me to get a new printer. This will probably take approximately 13 months to happen...just in time for my redeployment.

Because my printer was down, I decided to start writing some thank-you's. As I was sitting and writing this afternoon, I felt my heart just start to lift as I took the time to give thanks for the gifts that these people had sent. It wasn't until I paused to think about all that I had received, instead of the one thing I didn't have, that my attitude changed.

I am so blessed to be here right now. Sure, there are things that could be better; I could be home with my hot wife and a cold beer. But, there is so much to be thankful for each and every day; things could be so much worse. I could be in an outlying area, bathing with bottled water, sleeping on a cot, and never have air conditioning. I could be in a place where my Soldiers are facing death and danger on a daily basis. But I'm not. I'm here and safe and doing my duty and receiving gifts from people who are thankful that I am here.

When I stop and think of it that way, Mr. Grumpy Pants just needs to shut up and go away. Amazing how thankfulness can re-arrange one's perspective.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nyiaak said...

God Bless you, Dub! I could send you our old printer (seeing as we got a new one yesterday) that still works...when it's in a good mood. However, sending items from Alaska involves a lot - from pigeons, Chinese fishing vessels, sherpas and oxen, camels and traders, to the rare African swallow (which as we all know can carry a 3-lb package it its claws). I think it'd take just as long as the Army, unfortunately. But the thought is there, buddy. :D

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home