23 July 2004

This week's movie review

Last week, Ty asked me what I do in Friday nights. 

Well, I'm not one to sit around alone.  It's a useful skill that I learned on vicarage at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church in San Jose, California.  The first few weeks I just sat in my house and watched Friday night television.  After I started to hit Full House re-runs, I knew it was time to get out.

But I digress.  Tonight I saw the movie The Bourne Supremacy.  I liked the first one, so I thought I would give this one a try as well.  I'm glad I made it to a matinee and only paid $4.00 to see this piece of junk.

The first did a great job of character development, bringing Jason Bourne from nothing to a checkered past to a realistic and believable hero.  This time the flashbacks were all about his first mission and how he get's pulled into the current-day ramifications of that mission so many years ago.  Not nearly as powerful as the first one.

Also, in this age of bluescreen, CGI, wire-fighting action, a classic action pic with car chases and human stunts just doesn't quite do it anymore.  Not that I am a big fan of all The Matrix knock-offs now-a-days, but the 15 minute car chase has run it's course with the Dukes of Hazard.  That, with the wobbly-camera work during action scenes that seems to be common now, almost sent me into an epilectic seizure.

This coupled with the fact that Jason Bourne is a character completely void of a sense of humor, and you have a movie that was hard to stay awake through...literally.  If it hadn't been for the explosions, I would have dozed of a dozen times easy.

Unless you get free tickets or need something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon and can catch a matinee for less that $5, wait to rent it...maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home