31 July 2005

Camp Okoboji

Well, here I am at the start of Youth Week. Click the above linkified tite for the web page of where Sara and I are.

It's always nice to sit and participate in worship without having to do anything. At least, it's nice when worship is done right. I wonder if I am a bit of a "worship snob" but I just think there are certain things that need to be a part of worship. One of them being one of the three Ecumenical Creeds, which are the Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed. Today, whoever prepared our worship decided to write his own creed. *sigh*

I still remember what my professor at Seminary used to say. "If you ever feel the need to write your own creed, sit down with a bottle of Jack Daniels' and drink it until that feeling goes away." Creeds are statements that bind the future of our Church with the past. There's just something humbling and encouraging about reciting a statement of faith that has been shared by billions of Christians throughout the centuries. It reminds me that this faith that I profess is not about me but will out live me. My goal in life is not to get to heaven; my goal in life is make sure that the knowledge and faith of Christ continue until He comes again. Like I said, maybe I'm a bit of a worship snob, but this is something that needs to be a part of each week to keep today's Christians mindful of those who have come before.

Other than that, things have been great. Around 100 kids, lots of great friends, and time to be alone should produce some great thoughts for this site. Greg Suckow can read them next week when he's catching up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home