08 August 2005

Guarding One's Heart

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." --Proverbs 4:23

I had a real revelation about this Scripture this week; it was revealed to me by a light-sign in front of a tool and die manufacturer in Milford, IA. It's one of those random "God moments" that happen so often in life.

Youth Week at Camp Okoboji was just what I needed to guard my heart. The Army takes so much out of a person...not just chaplains. Before I left, I felt that my heart was hardening. I think it's the environment. Whatever the reason, I was almost to the point where I didn't care anymore. The trainees that I saw were just numbers and items on a to-do list. It helped to get away and have some fun with people who are doing something because they want to...not people who are trying to get out of a bad decision.

But the week wasn't without its frustrations. It's sad to see such a wild place like Camp Okoboji be tamed. The area around camp has changed as more and more people want to live on the water. Civilization is closing in around it. Also, people are so worried about every little thing. In a society where a person gets a million bucks for not knowing that coffee is hot when bought from McDonald's, it's difficult to let kids be kids. This should have been a wild week of discovery and renewal for the 100 youth who were there. They should have had a chance to meet the wild-eyed Jesus that led fishermen, tax-collectors, and others on a three year journey of self-discovery. Instead, it was more of a "how-to" on being a good person. "A Christian doesn't act this way. A Christian doesn't wear that. A Christian doesn't listen to that music." Eeesh. Sometimes I wanted to wretch and then pummel some people. A Christian isn't defined by what he or she does, but rather by what he or she believes. The doing will come as the belief becomes more implanted and more mature.

I felt like we strove to make bad kids good and good kids better. What about making kids wild for Jesus? What about making them realize that the world they returned to is not "the real world?" What about helping them to change their world by challenging their beliefs about themselves and their Savior? I have no doubt that we improved many lives through the actions of this week. The question that I have is this: did we ruin anyone's life with the Gospel? I'm not so sure.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Hey Pastor Dub. I just wanted to comment and tell you how much I appreciated your post, mostly because I really didn't find that I got anything out of the topic this week. I really hope Dave and some other staff sees your post and decide to do a topic next year that will leave the campers with more of a feeling of accomplishment. Accomplishing a deeper faith that is. I'd love to see a topic that really indulges into the bible and I can really take things from it. I guess the biggest problem I had was most of the stuff I already knew from prior education. I don't know if that makes sense, but I would definetaly like to go back to counsel youth week in a couple years and see campers' faiths deepened and strengthed through bible study than told how to be a better person or however you phrased it. Anyway, I would like to again express my appreciation for the great yearbook, great idea! Maybe I'll see you next year.

Adam

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home